29 April 2013
If you see a dog with a YELLOW ribbon, bandanna or similar on the leash or on the dog, this is a dog which needs some space. Please, do not approach this dog or its people with your dog. They are indicating that their dog cannot be close to other dogs. How close is too close? Only the dog or his people know, so maintain distance and give them time to move out of your way.
There are many reasons why a dog may need space:
– Maybe it has health issues
– It may be a rescue dog being rehabilitated. The world can be a very scary place for these dogs.
– It may have had a bad experience with another dog or is just not like the kind of friendly dogs which always want to say “Hi!”
– A bitch may be in heat
– The dog may be in training
– It may be very old and arthritic
– It may be very nervous or shy and other dogs cause it stress
In short, a yellow marker on a dog means it needs a some space.
Full details on the Yellow Dog Website